That vitamins help promote overall well being is an open secret. However, not many people know that they are also effective in hypothyroidism treatment. ‘How, why, what’ – a flood of questions must have taken your mind by storm. Well let us discuss the vitamins in question one by one.
First, let us focus the spotlight on Vitamin B.
- The B vitamin that is related to hypothyroidism is vitamin B12 or cobalamin. A study published in the Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association in 2008 has revealed that there is a possible link between hypothyroidism and Vitamin B12 deficiency.
- In the conducted survey, around 40% of 116 hypothyroidism patients were found to be deficient in B12. Moreover, on being administered Vitamin B12, they showed a marked improvement in their condition.
Next up for discussion is Vitamin A.
- Iodine deficiency is one of the primary factors responsible for hypothyroidism. Vitamin A deficiency can worsen the effect of an iodine deficiency and result in thyroid gland dysfunction. As a result, inadequate levels of Vitamin A can be responsible for nutrient-deficient related hypothyroidism.
- Vitamin A can play a key role in the functioning of the thyroid hormone, and together they regulate the gene activation tissues throughout the body. Vitamin A deficiency can impede the proper functioning of the thyroid hormone and thereby precipitate hypothyroidism.
- Intake of Vitamin A along with other nutrients like iodine and selenium can prevent hypothyroidism caused by nutrient deficiency.
- Vitamin E is the combination of 8 different forms of fat-soluble antioxidant compounds. These antioxidants safeguard your cells from the possible damage caused by unstable molecules called free radicals. Thanks to its antioxidant properties, Vitamin E taken in supplement form has been shown to improve the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- However, it is best to avoid Vitamin E if you are taking blood thinners. Taken together, they increase your bleeding risk. It can also hinder the absorption of a group of antidepressants known as ‘tricyclics’. Vitamin E also interferes with medications like aspirin, and beta blockers. So it is best to take Vitamin E after consulting with the doctor.
Some other vitamins that help treat hypothyroidism are:
- Omega 3 fatty acids – Also known as fish oil, these help in the proper functioning of the body. However, they are not naturally produced in the body which makes it necessary to include them as a part of your diet or take them in the supplement form. Omega 3 fatty acids help treat hypothyroidism by decreasing inflammation and promoting immunity. However, experts advise against exceeding the daily dosage by 3 gram.
- L-tyrosine – The thyroid gland uses an amino acid called L-tyrosine to produce the thyroid hormone. It also plays a key role in the production of neurotransmitters and melanin and assists in the functioning of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands. Though the deficiency of this amino acid is not very common, it can be spotted in individuals diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Experts recommend taking a 500mg L-Tyrosine supplement two to three times a day. For those who are already on thyroid medication, consultation with doctor is necessary before they start taking this supplement.
Even though vitamins are natural, it is best to seek your doctor’s advice before you take them. While they may not be harmful otherwise, they may not always be the best thing for someone with hypothyroidism.
Some of them might hinder the body’s absorption of the thyroid hormone while there are others which can interfere with the medication. To know which vitamins are safe and the appropriate dosages for each, it is best to consult your doctor.
Incoming search terms:
- vitamins for hypothyroidism (10)
- hypothyroidism vitamins (2)
- vitamin e and thyroid (2)
- herbal medicine in pakistan hypothyroid treatment (2)
- best nutral treatment in pakistan hypothyroid (2)
- vitamins for hypothyroid (1)
- multivitamin for hypothyroidism (1)
- natural treatment thyroid in pakistan (1)
- thyroid treatment in pakistan (1)
- vitamin a and hypothyroidism (1)
- vitamins to help hypothyroidsm (1)
- vitamin e that help with hypothyroidism (1)
- vitamin supplements for hypothyroidism (1)
- Medicines for hypothyroid pakistan (1)
- Medication for thyroid in pakistan (1)
- b vitamins for hypothyroidism (1)
- b vitamins related thyroid (1)
- best multivitamin for hypothyroid patients (1)
- best vitamin supplement for hypothyroid in Pakistan (1)
- best vitamins for hypothyroid (1)